[pct-l] 2007 Gear Ideas

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Wed Feb 7 23:28:33 CST 2007

Say, I know I have bombarded you  with gear ideas lately.  But I figure I
should put things out there that  might be valuable to someone for the 2007
campaign.  Last June at KM I saw  lots of my handsfree umbrella holders (foam tube
for umbrella shaft attachment  to the pack shoulder strap) in the hiker box at
the store.  Thru hikers had  discarded them after the desert hike into KM.
Personally, I would have  kept using the umbrellas/holders all the way to
Canada.

In any case, I told Yogi as we were  sitting at my table down at the
campground that it kind of startled me to see my  ideas or suggestions on the trail.
It made me feel responsible for the  usefulness and success of the
suggestions.  Of course, that is not  really true, but it was a weird feeling anyway.
Every hiker has to  HYOH and decide what is useful or not.

That is why training by hiking and  using your gear kit is so important
before you go on your expeditions.  A  thru hike is not the best place to find out
if something works or not.  By  the time you go on that expedition, you should
be pretty comfortable with your  gear.  Or you could be like me and always
trying something new or different  for the fun of it.  Then everything I
previous said can be ignored.   :-)

Switchback the LLC Gearhead