[pct-l] Powerlines Crossing the PCT in San Diego County

Ken Roberts kenandeb at sover.net
Thu Feb 8 12:41:40 CST 2007

Electricity is a wonderful product. I spent a bit of time reviewing the
maps of the proposed routes. None of the maps I have seen show the
transmission route in relation to the PCT. I used the SDG&E maps to trace
what I have interpeted at the routes of the alternative transmission line
corridors on a topographic map along with the PCT. It can be viewed at
http://www.sover.net/~kenandeb/topo/pctpowerline.jpg
It appears to me that the preferred alignment follows the route of the PCT
within 1 to 2 miles the length of the San Fellipe Hills, for 8 to 10 miles.
A alternative route that follows the road is even closer.

It has been my experience that Electric Utilities will propose power lines
that solve the engineering problem, at the least cost, and the where it is
politically feasible. SDG&E has eliminated the possibility of running the
line beside the only existing major transmission route from the interior
desert (one s) into San Diego County. That line runs close to the Mexican
Border and follows the Interstate 8 I believe. Their reasoning is that
power needs to be brought into the northern San Diego area. To closely
follow an existing transmission route also increases the chance of both
lines being out at the same time therefore decreasing reliability. I also
suspect that building another transmission line south/north through San
Diego County to support Northern San Diego County could be quite difficult
and expensive.

I would love to hear what anyone has learned from the current meetings.
Thanks,
Ken Roberts

Message: 34