[pct-l] Jawbone Road

Mann bmann1 at san.rr.com
Wed Feb 14 21:46:09 CST 2007

Sparrow posted a query a few days ago about whether Jawbone Canyon road is
driveable.  I've been a little behind reading my pct-l digests, so just read
it now, and I have some first-hand info.

Last year at the beginning of June my husband Scout hiked south from Walker
Pass to cross paths with some through-hikers we had hosted in San Diego.
The plan was for me to pick him up where the PCT crosses Jawbone Canyon Rd.
I have a "Friends of Jawbone Off-Highway Vehicle" map I had picked up
previously at the visitor center where Jawbone starts from Highway 14.  It
claimed Jawbone Canyon road was dirt, but did not require four-wheel drive.

I was running late because I had driven some through-hikers from Mojave back
to the trail, and ended up being quite late to pick up Scout, in the end.
My 2002 Toyota Prius got most of the way, though at some switchbacks I got
stuck, backed up so I would have a straight approach, and then revved up the
road.  The problem was the road had become loose sand, due to use by
motorcycles.  I finally had to park about 1-1/2 miles short of the trail and
then hike to where Scout was worriedly waiting.

Jawbone Canyon Road was fine, though, to Kelso Valley Road, and then Kelso
Valley Road north was fine - it becomes paved right where the PCT crosses
it.