[pct-l] hard drive based MP3 players

Paul Mitchell paul at bluebrain.ca
Fri Feb 16 03:41:24 CST 2007

Hmmmm, good points Bear and Alden

It would be nice to be able to take a robust, energy efficient flash MP3
player and update the contents in town, perhaps by sending a hard drive
based player in a bounce box.  I'd guess it must be possible to transfer
data from one ipod to another?  Expensive sollution though ... means buying
two players, and insuring the bounce box for a high value each time it's
shipped.

The drawbacks to the disc player option are the bulky size and the low
amount of content (relatively speaking) per disc, and a fairly significant
time investement to get all the data onto discs.  I have audio books that
wouldn't even fit on a single CD.  60 gigs of data would take up a huge
spindle of CDs too, which then also needs to be shipped in the bounce box.

Clearly the best solution is a jacket covered in an array of disposable
flash MP3 players.  Listen to all eight gigs on one, then discard and start
the next.  Might cost a couple thousand dollars, but hey, no pain no gain.