[pct-l] Water filters/purification

Mike Saenz msaenz at mve-architects.com
Thu Jan 4 15:32:57 CST 2007

I've used unfiltered water on a few of my last hikes. I've always been a
bit skeptical about the whole "Bug Hysteria".

Last year, the snow runoff in the San Jacintos was so strong that there
were several creeks flowing over the PCT. I drank long a deep straight
out of a few of these without filtering.

But there are many other locations where I wouldn't even filter out of
(San Felipe Creek at Scissors Crossing comes to mind...).

So, even though (IMHO) there are still creeks in Southern and Central
California that are still pristine enough to just dip and drink, there
are long stretches of the trail that you still need to treat.

I'm going to buy an in-line filter that rigs as a "gravity" system. I
hate pumping and I've seen the gravity rig filter water in more than
enough time to take a break and enjoy "being" before moving on.

The in-line filter weighs less than my Sweetwater Guardian, but it
requires a second Platy, hose, connections and crimp (to collect the
unfiltered water for hanging). Overall, I believe it's still lighter
than what I currently carry.

One of my fondest memories of backpacking as a kid was hanging a "Sierra
Cup" off a pack strap and dipping into a cold, clear mountain stream to
drink. I don't carry that steel cup any more (though I still have it!),
but used my hands to pull cold gulps out of a icy waterfall off the
trail just south of Fuller Ridge. Ahhhhhhh.....

Michael  Saenz
Associate Partner

MVE & Partners, Inc. | Architecture + Planning + Interiors
Irvine + Oakland + Honolulu

1900 Main Street, Suite 800 | Irvine, California 92614-7318 | T
949.809.3388 | www.mve-architects.com