[pct-l] Suggestions on considering the use of hiking poles

Pea Hicks phix at optigan.com
Tue Jan 9 18:10:48 CST 2007

Mary T Moynihan wrote:
> I have been back and forth on the idea of using hiking poles. I didn't use
> them on my AT thru hike and with the exception for the few river fords and
> occassional rocky downs in the north, I really don't think I missed out. I
> like having free hands far too much. However, I have a rather bad knee and
> another thru hike will surely add to the injury. I am also thinking poles
> will be a great advantage to any snow covered sections of the trail. So,
> suggestions?
> Here's something else I am wondering. In order to avoid ordering a pair of
> poles and then determining that I just do not wish to use them as I am
> hiking, would going out on some hikes with ski poles(which I have in my
> closet) be able to help me decide if I should trek the 2600 miles with some
> additional support to my poor knees. Let me know if anyone has some advice
> on this and perhaps if anyone has some cheap(by good ones) hiking poles for
> sale.

hi spirit-

imho, you're unlikely to be convinced of the usefulness of trekking
poles unless you practice the proper technique with real trekking poles,
adjusted for your height and stride. if you're already averse to using
poles, i think substituting simple ski poles will probably just further
confirm your aversion. see if you can find a good pair of leki's locally
that you can borrow.

i personally wouldn't dream of setting foot on the trail carrying a ~30
lb backpack without trekking poles, having previously suffered without
them prior to "seeing the light" :)

BUT i certainly saw plenty of folks on the pct this year happily without
them, though i'd say a greater percentage had them.

in any event, i wouldn't recommended setting off into the sierra snow &
stream fords without *something* to help your balance.

here's one of several trekking pole tutorial pages:

http://tinyurl.com/yaoub8

play special attention to the part about proper use of the wrist straps.

cheers-
girlscout