[pct-l] Suggestions on considering the use of hiking poles

Mike Saenz msaenz at mve-architects.com
Tue Jan 9 18:17:33 CST 2007

I had resisted two innovations in my hiking career: Poles and Platypus's
(platypi?)
I had dismissed these as just another gimmick to market.

I received both as gifts and discovered the following:

1) trekking poles are like handrails on stairs: they make climbing much
less demanding on my legs.
2) bladders and bite valves make me hydrate more than I would otherwise.

In both instances, I've noticed a remarkable difference on how I feel
after a day of hiking!

And more BIG advantages of poles: they double as my tent support for my
AWESOME Six Moons Lunar Solo! (I love that tent!)
And they are of great use when plowing through dense brush- I hold my
poles out in front of me and let them take most of the abuse from
scratchy brush. And then there's the whole stream fording and log
crossing help that poles provide.

I never hike without both now.

As far as the ski pole thing- it's best to adjust the pole length for
uphill and downhill. Ski poles (and some UL trekking poles) don't adjust
in height. And to support my AWESOME Six Moons Lunar Solo (did I mention
that I LOVE that tent?), I need to have adjustable poles.
Try your ski poles on a weekend hike. Use it on steep climbs and
descents. I believe you'll notice the difference.

Michael  Saenz
Associate Partner

MVE & Partners, Inc. | Architecture + Planning + Interiors
Irvine + Oakland + Honolulu

1900 Main Street, Suite 800 | Irvine, California 92614-7318 | T
949.809.3388 | www.mve-architects.com