[pct-l] Did anybody notice PCT-L turned 10?

Roger Carpenter rogercarpenter at comcast.net
Sun Jan 14 19:50:13 CST 2007

Thank you Brick and Ryan for all the work you have done for the distance
hiking community!  In 1996, the year the PCT-L started, I thru-hiked the PCT
and recall that the internet was used to a much lesser extent as a planning
tool than it is now.  AOL had trail forums that were similar to the PCT-L
but not universally used by all PCT hikers.  In those days I found the
ALDHA-West gathering and Gazette, and the PCTA the best way to get
information, meet other prospective and past hikers.  I don't think the
internet will ever exceed the value we get from those organizations, the
gatherings, the kickoff and other face to face communication.  But the speed
which we can obtain a broad range of advice, information and resources
probably has made it easier for most PCT hikers to plan and complete their
journeys successfully.  Perhaps there are some young hikers in their early
20's who take the internet for granted.  Us old-timers have seen the
changes.

More technical changes since 1996:
PC-based photo presentations have replaced slide projectors.
Digital photography, including small video cameras, have replaced film
photography.
Tiny LED flashlights have replaced heavier bulb flashlights.
Sil-nylon has replaced 1.7 oz ripstop.
GPS.
Alloys such as titanium are cheap enough for all of us to reduce pack
weight.

Other changes:
More hikers from outside the U.S., possibly due to the internet.
More trail angels.
More thru-hikers.
PCT Handbook.
Data book.
ADZPCTKO.

Good things that happily are still around since 1996:
The PCT is still 2,650 miles and a national treasure.
Meadow Ed and KM
Trail volunteers who keep the trail open.
Wilderness Press guidebooks.
Campo.
Mounument 78
Pancake challenge!