[pct-l] Esbit vs. Alcohol and some canister notes

Marcia gottawalk at pacbell.net
Wed Jan 24 16:37:18 CST 2007

Does anyone remember Jake on the PCT in 2000, the chef that warmed his
dehydrated and soaked meals with plastique? Wow!

Canisters can be mailed http://www.gottawalk.com/shipping_fuel.htm . For two
people hiking together a canister is weight efficient.

We have used the gigapower with snowpeak isobutane fuel on all our hikes.
Calculations for us show that the stove is heavier but carrying with fuel
for two ends up being equivalent or lighter. The small cnaister (110g plas
can weight) lasts 3.5 days of 2 cups of drink in the morning and 2 cups of
drinks and 3-4 cups of water for dinner. So it depends how frequently you
plan to resupply...I think a small can would last you a week and the large
can (220g fuel plus can weight) two weeks.

The stove seems to be safe for tent or vestibule use in bad weather. The
stove tipped and rolled once but the flame still shoots skyward and didn't
hit the floor or wall (water ran to a corner of the tent). Fuel needs to be
warmed in sleepingbag or in jacket in really cold conditions but still boils
water. Altitude doesn't affect a canister stove.