[pct-l] Esbit vs. Alcohol and some canister notes

Slow Comfort slow.comfort at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 20:11:52 CST 2007

The titanium zip stove (10oz) packs down to 5" X 3" no fuel necessary,
but does use a AA battery.  Reviews claim 6hr cooking time from one
stove but they last so long I just replace them when necessary.  It
cooks as long and often as you want, no fuel logistics, you can fly
with it (baggage - not carry on)  and provides a nice way to cook on
the trail.  While you can build a forge fire with it if you
want...this baby will put out some flames!  But, in fire risk areas
the fire chamber easily handles a hot but small fire sufficient for
any trail meal without concern. Its use is allowed in all national
forests (contained cook fire)  but I also carry a 0.4oz "FireLite"
titanium Esbit wing stove with 2oz of fuel (4 tabs) for back up, for
emergency tent use, or in case of wood fire stove ban, which I've
never encountered, so  I've never used the backup and on the way up to
a bald spot (no fuel) I just pick up a bit of sticks and bark for the
zip stove along the way...doesn't take much...no problem.  Some people
complain about sooty pots but it don't take long to figure out the
juju for that.

My longest hike is just under 250 miles.  I used the 18oz sierra zip
for that hike and a for whole bunch of 3 & 4 day camping trips.  It
never let me down and works great in windy conditions.  Considering
the fluctuating weight impact of solid and liquid fuel, the need for
logistics and the necessary pack care for the use of alcohol or esbit,
I opted for the titanium zip for the PCT this year.

Slow