[pct-l] Taking Care of "The Boys"

Mark Jernigan footslogger03 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 24 22:56:07 CST 2007

Had the same problem during my AT thru in 2003.  Began carrying the "wet ones" without odor or alchol and cleaned the area several times during the day and ocassionally applied powder.  Took care of the problem.

  Issue is irritation from salt in your perspiration that finds a resting pace in the skin folds.  Friction from leg motion and possibly from rubbing on fabric of some sort (if you wear undershorts when you hike).

  'Slogger
  AT 2003

Bill Batchelor <billbatch at cox.net> wrote:

Okay,

Straight to the point. Chafing of private areas. On long hikes, I get a
rash right... Well, ... In the "taint" zone. Technically defined as that
area that taint quite the (front parts) and taint quite the (back parts)-
that area right between. I have found body glide works as I suspect other
"lubes" would. I am looking for a better solution. I was wondering what
others do or if I am the only one. Strange subject in public (actually
typed pubic and had to back-space). However, it needs to be addressed.

I have found this area to be susceptible due to lack of fabric wicking. I
think a good fabric layer that was really "there" would help. However, on
shorts, underwear, etc. there is an air gap where the front fabric leaves
"the boys" and eventually makes contact again - further back. I thought
about a thong to get fabric "there", but I am just not pretty enough to pull
it off. I am imagining some sort of polyprop under garment that has a large
opening in the front (like an under wire bra without the wire) that would in
essence ride up under "the boys" leaving them free in front. This might
keep the fabric "there" since it would not have the air-gap problem
associated with being lifted away from the body by... "the boys". Of
course, like a push up bra this might visually give me more credit than I am
due as I saunter (oh and yes I would saunter) down the trail ...

Strange subject I know, but hey - it's the trail.

BillB (Ezhno)

unsubscribe or change options: