[pct-l] Super Light Fuel Tablet/Alcohol Stove

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Thu Jan 25 04:17:32 CST 2007

Check out this new stove over at  VargoOutdoors.  It weighs 1.5 ounces and
can use either a fuel tablet or  alcohol.  That way you can go either way on
your trip.  All I use a  stove for, if I am even going to cook at all, is to heat
up water to throw in a  MaryJane food pouch.  On a rare occasion I might heat
up a hot drink.   There are so many non-cook options now days.  See .......

_vargooutdoors.safeshopper.com/181/1549.htm?241_
(http://vargooutdoors.safeshopper.com/181/1549.htm?241)

Speaking of lighting fuel  tablets.  I have always just carried a BIC Mini
lighter and REI stormproof  matches.  I just light the match with the lighter
and then throw it on the  fuel tablet.  Never fails.  It does not matter what
the wind/rain is  doing.  I will admit when it is really blowing, I turn my back
to the wind  and then light the match.  After that it is easy.

I use a simple tin can wind shield (with holes around the bottom) around  the
stove/pot.  I think I got it from TrailDad at a Kickoff event several  years
ago.  The flame of the fuel tablet will blow around too much in a  wind and
not heat the bottom of the pot effectively.  I store the shield in  the TI
cooking pot along with the fuel tablets and stove.  Simple.

I am so lazy, that I can not think  of an easier way to cook, except not to
cook.  And that is my first  choice.  To go cookless on the trail.

Switchback, the Rachel Ray of the Trail