[pct-l] Pack Designs

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Wed Jan 31 13:05:41 CST 2007

Now that I am fired  up about shelter designs, I will humbly share my
thoughts on pack  designs too.

First, I think most pack  designs are less than they could be along with
shelter designs.   You ask, "Switchback, what bought you to that brilliant
conclusion, you old  gearhead fraud?"

I can answer that.  Two things bought me to this conclusion; Ray  Jardine's
pack and Lynne Whelden's original PCT pack.  This was many years  ago that I
decided they were smart.  Lynne's original pack was just a  netting pack.  Ray's
pack was a main pack with large netting outer  pouches.

Here is what I like in a pack:
-- Pack colors will be muted to  blend into Mother Nature and not be bright
or the latest fashion plate marketing  colors.
-- The lighter the gear  weight, the simpler the pack.
-- Pack will make excellent use of  netting pockets, which give you cool
packing options for super light weight and  gear visibility.
-- Pack should weigh under 2 pounds  or very near this for 3-season
backpacking.  My pack weighs 18  ounces.
-- Frameless or uses a foam  sleeping pad as a frame.
-- 15 - 30 pounds total  gear/supplies weight capacity.

Several current packs come to  mind that are acceptable; GossamerGear.com
Mariposa pack  and SixMoonDesigns.com packs.  There might some others out there,
but I cannot think of them right now.

Of course, if you are going to  climb Mt. Everest, then you might need a
little more robust pack.  But I  wonder about that too.  In any case, I demand all
manufacturers produce packs and  shelters that I like or I will have to start
busting some chops.  Of  course, this means that 98% of manufacturers out
there are in  trouble.

Respectfully and humbly submitted,  Switchback the Trail Pirate
PS: If you like external frame  packs (which I do alot), then go to
LuxuryLite.com.