[pct-l] cost of through hiking

Steve Fosdick hikin_steve at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 5 11:25:39 CDT 2007

I'm a little surprised by the high figure, ($4-5000) but it's very useful information.

  Does that include return trip transportation? I'm guessing that it does.

  I'd be interested to hear from experienced hikers regarding how much "CASH" a thru hiker might need to carry, and in what form? An ATM card doesn't weigh very much, but it might be lighter than a wad of traveler's checks. I guess pre-packaged supply boxes could have replacement traveler's checks in them along with food and supplies. What about my passport? Do you actually cross into Mexico to start (even if just 3 steps over the border). I've heard that you only really need a passport in Mexico and Canada if one is flying, not driving or going by boat (or hiking!).

  Hikin_Steve

Paul <paul_c at tuxcnc.org> wrote:

Thanks to everyone that responded - The consensus would be to take $4-5000 to
be on the safe side. $2000 being regarded as an absolute minimum (diet
suplemented with roadkill & fricassee rodent). On top of that, lightweight
gear needs to be budgeted for - Fortunately, I already have a selection of
equipment to choose from..

Regards, Paul.
unsubscribe or change options: