[pct-l] Water treatment practices

Phil Baily pbaily at webuniverse.net
Thu Jul 5 21:49:30 CDT 2007

When I started backpacking, I (like everyone else) hung my Sierra Cup
from my belt and drank from almost every stream or lake I came to.
Yes, Tortoise, I still have my cup. Then came the big giardia scare
and I decided to be safe rather than sorry. I am risk-averse and so I
still filter all the time, even though I have read a lot about the
danger being exaggerated.
I read one article that cited evidence that water from the top of a
lake is typically safer than stream water because of solar effects.
Most hikers behave as if the  opposite is true. I plead ignorance on
the facts and filter because I do not really know who is wrong!

Pieces