[pct-l] PCT planning questions

Pea Hicks phix at optigan.com
Tue Jul 10 20:06:56 CDT 2007

Sam Harbuck wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've never been on the PCT before, but I am planning to thru-hike it
> starting in late August/early September. Is this too late a date to
> start from the south and would it be better to do the trail in
> reverse?

hi sam, simply put, this is too late in the season to start a
border-to-border thru-hike, except for possibly the very fastest hikers
out there. unless you'd rather just do a section hike, you'd best plan
your thru-hike for next season, starting in april or may.

> Also, I don't know anyone else that is wanting to do this with me and
> while I know it is safer to do it with a partner, is it possible to
> do this solo?

yes, in fact, most hikers are technically solo, though most will form
various informal hiking partnerships along the way.

hope this helps!

girlscout