[pct-l] again J-section (T-hiker)

Brian Lewis brianle at nwlink.com
Mon Jul 16 16:29:38 CDT 2007

"Any must camp/see spots? Got a few in my head but would love some
advice or ideas."

Since no one has responded to the query about section hiking
Stevens-to-Snoqualmie, a couple of notes.

My recollection is that the sites I liked best were on the southern ~half of
this trip --- Kendall Katwalk, Cathedral Rock, some nice views down to Joe
and Alaska lakes.  Take the short side-trip to Spectacle Lake, it really is
a worthwhile spectacle; you can camp there too if inclined, either right on
the peninsula or on the periphery.
OTOH, I think it was rainier when I did the more northern part, so my
recollection could be skewed.

Tough in general to recommend campsites not knowing the estimated per-day
mileage.  The PCT guidebook is very helpful on this point, recommended
(Wilderness Press, OR/WA book).  Your local REI likely carries it, as well
as larger bookstores.   Note, however, that I think it's due for an update
scheduled to come out around Christmas or so; perhaps your local library
carries it for reference in the meantime.

You asked about distance; the guidebook says 74.7 miles, and to my
recollection there wasn't any ambiguity.   There are a couple of alternate
routes that get you there, for example, at Deception Pass a person could go
on the more easterly trail that goes by Hyas Lake, or the more direct route
that goes closer to Cathedral Rock.  But I think that if you stick to the
official PCT, 75 miles is about right.

I'll be including a short stretch of that in a ~100 mile shakedown hike
starting in a couple of days; last time I tried this I ran into a bit too
much snow starting at the Park Lakes (just a bit south of Spectacle lake).
I imagine by now that the snow is much more under control, and certainly
will be by early August.

You can look for trip reports.  www.wta.org is a good place.
There are also a couple of SOBO's that decided last month there was too much
snow in northern WA and so bounced down to Oregon to do OR+WA as NOBO's ---
they're keeping journals on www.trailjournals.com   One of them (Squirrel
Meat) is up to the OR/WA border and heading north, perhaps he'll offer
something about your section in the not-too-distant future.

But wta.org "freshest reports" might be your best bet.  There's one from
yesteday on Hyas Lake, and another from the day before on Deception Pass.

	Brian Lewis