[pct-l] Article About Stehekin Valley Road

Tortoise Tortoise73 at charter.net
Thu Jun 21 17:01:16 CDT 2007

Interesting controversy. However like much of modern journalism (or what
passes for journalism), the writer apparently started with his
conclusion and then picked information to support it.

one paragraph is illustrative:

    "Parallel to the section of the valley that flooded in 2003, the
    critical 21/2 miles from just below Carwash Falls upriver to the
    trail junction called Bridge Creek, runs the road's original route
    -- safely upslope from the river. In the 1930s, though, that stretch
    of the road, called "the old wagon road" or just the "detour road"
    by locals, became part of the Pacific Crest Trail and Civilian
    Conservation Corps crews replaced it with the flood-prone road along
    the river."

It seems very unlikely that back in the 1930's, a road would have been
rerouted so the original road could be used as a trail. More likely some
people thought that a road by the river would be more scenic and
appealing as well as a good project for the CCC. Hope someone can do the
research to determine the truth.

I don't want to go on and on on this, but it does remind me of the
discussions around here by the "old timers" whose memories change to
meet their current desire.

Tortoise

<> He who finishes last, wins! <>