[pct-l] Foam Pad Tent Bottoms

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Tue Mar 6 03:14:12 CST 2007

_Tortoise73 at charter.net_ (mailto:Tortoise73 at charter.net)   writes:

Actually  switchback I'm surprised you haven't thought of this.  Replace the
bottom  of your tent with a piece of foam cut to fit and sewed to the sides.
Then you  have your pad and a durable (?) bottom and save some weight.  Patent
pending  2007
Actually, I did think of this, but could not figure out how to roll up  the
tent and pad together for the pack.  So, I thought I would just keep  them
separate and attach the pad to the bottom of the tent in camp.   Simple.

The big mistake I made the first time I experimented with  this was to glue
the Velcro hook pads on the tent bottom.  This would be  instead of the soft
Velcro pad part.  The hooks wrecked my tent netting  when they got caught on it
when I rolled up my tent to store it in the  pack.  Now my netting is all
funky.  It is still usable, but I like my  gear to look cool on the trail and not
all banged up.  I have an image and  reputation to maintain.  :-)

I think for the upcoming shipment  of the two GossamerGear.com ThinLight
pads, I will just see if they will stay  under the tent with four TI stakes used
for the tent (I will Velcro the two  trimmed pads together).  This might work.
Walking foam pads at night  is not fun.  You end up on cold spots.  Real
bummer.

This is especially important for  me, since I use the bottomless
NanutakUSA.com 16.6 ounce Ghost bag.  The  bag worked great on the chilly nights in the
Grand Canyon several weeks  ago.  I was warm and comfortable even when windy
when used with my down  jacket/hood.  This was when I was just sleeping out on
the ground (no tent)  with a my tent fly as a ground cloth and a foam pad under
me.   Simple.

One thing I learned on the Grand  Canyon expedition was how important it is
to have a warm jacket with hood.   The 800 down came through with flying
colors.  It made the difference  between being always warm and comfortable whether
standing or in the sleeping  bag.  Great piece of gear.  I recommend hikers
consider a good quality  down garment of 700 down or above.  I do not like the
lower grade "down"  and feather products.

Switchback the  Warmanator

http://www.aol.com.