[pct-l] New PCT Website!

Pea Hicks phix at optigan.com
Tue Mar 6 02:50:42 CST 2007

jeff.singewald at comcast.net wrote:
 > Pea,
 >
 > I found the data book to be good for
 > quick-look reference points, but rarely used it for planning out the
 > day.

i suppose my point is that if the data book had even a low-resolution,
approximately accurate, but *continuous* elevation curve, you very well
*could* use it for planning out the whole day. or at least i certainly
could and would. i personally rarely looked at the maps. i found that
the data book had just about everything i needed to know, if only there
were no hidden climbs to screw up my energy budgeting. i generally only
pulled out the map at confusing junctions or to get a quick idea of what
was coming up in the next 10 miles or whatever. but i'm not one to take
much time trying to interpret the lines on a topo map, especially when
you're talking about the xerox-quality maps in the guidebook! at first
glance i usually end up getting the ascents and descents all inverted...
but maybe that's just me! :)

girlscout