[pct-l] Satellite versus Cell phone

Jack Richardson jackrichardson at adelphia.net
Wed Mar 7 11:41:42 CST 2007

Hi all, my better half is considering purchasing a satellite phone for our
PCT hike. The cost seems quite high, not including account and usage fees.

My questions:

-          Is the cell coverage on the trail sufficient to depend on a cell
phone?

-          Don't satellite phones have to "see" the phone satellite? So they
aren't always on.

-          Has anyone done a cost/risk comparison for satellite versus cell?

-          I do recall seeing a coverage chart. Does anyone know of such a
graph?

It seems a costly emergency device or a "how are you?" chatty device.

Love to see comments ...

tumbleweed