[pct-l] Tech: device advice

Aaron Wallace aaron at skeeky.com
Thu Mar 8 19:29:37 CST 2007

The Garmin Foretrex (not Forerunner) 101 is comparable in weight to the
Gekos, especially if you remove the strap.  (The Foretrex 201 is even
lighter, but uses an internal rechargeable battery, so is not well
suited to an extended trip.)  Functionally the Foretrex 101 and Geko 201
are virtually identical, so the choice is one of ergonomics (wrist vs.
handheld, vertical vs. horizontal).

Note that the Geko 101 has been discontinued, but refurb units can be
found for under $100.  I prefer to pre-enter waypoints into a GPS prior
to a trip, and while I've entered waypoints manually in the past, it's
so much easier with a computer--especially with the Topo software--that
I would not consider a unit without a computer interface.