[pct-l] rash in groin area

Pea Hicks phix at optigan.com
Mon Mar 19 01:09:58 CDT 2007

i tried all sorts of things, and ultimately never came up with a
reliable solution. not even vagisil worked, though it was worth carrying
for the comic relief, if not the pain relief! eventually i gave up
trying to fight it altogether, and found that over the course of my
thru-hike, rashes would just sort of come and go. i might get chafed for
a couple days, but then it would go away and i'd be fine for a week or
so, then maybe get another rash for a day or two, etc. i just learned to
live with it.

having said that, my friend ken marlow just sent me this:

**********
Somehow (I think it was through Dave Horton's PCT Run and DVD) I came
across raceready.com and the ultramarathon tight shorts that he uses.
RaceReady uses a fabric that's called Dryline. Some product discription
said  it 'aggressively' draws moisture out. I've tried a LOT of
different wicking fabrics...and given I perspire heavily...I've never
really been impressed, until this stuff. DAMN!  I got 'em for the
Yosemite to Donner Summit hike, and they were friggen amazing. After a
full day of hiking, when the shorts weren't dry yet, the outside was
always substantially damp and the inside feeling dry and totally
comfortable. I wear ExOfficio or Patagonia boxer briefs under them for
the usual sanitary reasons. These shorts are totally amazing. The only
Dryline (did a major web search) fabric in shorts was only available as
a tight short and RaceReady, the only place that makes Dryline shorts. I
used to run a lot of road races and have used several brands and fabric
combos of tight shorts before...but none of them wicked well.