[pct-l] Water purifers...

Jeff Moorehead jeffmoorehead1 at cox.net
Tue Mar 20 23:16:44 CDT 2007

Mariesa,
 I used the SteriPen from Kennedy Meadows to Canada last year and really
liked it. The electronics never failed. The problem I had is that the AA
rechargeable batteries I used were bulkier than regular AAs and this put
stress on the plastic cap. Eventually it cracked and I had to hold the
batteries firmly against the contacts throughout the whole UV cycle, which
made for an awkward two-handed operation. There is a new design out and
hopefully they have solved the problem by using their own rechargeables
which fit into a solar charger case.
 I wouldn't use it for the desert where many of the water sources are murky
and insect laden. The prefilter does not work well. I would always use a
pump filter from these. Once into the Sierra, the water is clear and the
sources are encountered frequently enough that you can get away with
carrying 1 liter at a time-- it only takes two minutes at most to get your
next liter using the SteriPen, so in the end you end up carrying less water.
 I love gadgets, to be sure. But this device was not only cool, it really
worked well...
Whiptail