[pct-l] Water purifers...

arm chair armchairhiker at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 11:05:59 CDT 2007

You can check out the filters and purifiers at Sawyer.com

There are 2 models of filters. First is in a Naglene type bottle. Second is
for in-line use from a canteen like a Platypus to the filter then to a hoser
or to another bottle. Using the second way allows you to either grab
untreated water and filter as you suck water from the bite valve OR do a
gravity feed by removing the bite-valve and putting the hose into another
container. If you do a gravity feed to a second container - I use a second
Platypus with an optional "filter hose connector", it has barbs into the
hose where the bite-valve was and a cap to securely connect to a second
Platypus. I use a zip style Platypus to get the untreated water. It is smart
to put a prefilter before any filter. MSR has a 'silt filter'.

Also Sawyer.com has a Purifier. This is the same as the filter only a bit
larger and filters out Viruses. This is the one I have.

The flow is very good to either use as a hoser or a gravity feed.

This filters are good forever! Both can be backwashed with clean water by
just reversing the filter or purifier and putting clean water through it!

 The Filter (about $50 at REI or directly) is good for 500 gallons before
backwashing is needed.

The Purifier (removes viruses, is about $100+ directly) is good for 3000
gallons before backwashing is needed.

The credit for my becoming aware of this goes to James who had a gravity
system on a recent hike. While I was pumping 1 liter with my leaking /
cranky Sweetwater filter, he was scratching his ____ and watching 4 liters
get filtered by his gravity feed system (just 2 bags with the filter between
them). Thanks very much James.

You might be able to 'special order' the purifier through REI, but you can
also order directly from Sawyer.com.

The web site has streaming video and EPA statements on the effectiveness of
their products.

- armchair