[pct-l] Denatured alcohol...

Jack Coughlin atspaceman at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 21 20:56:38 CDT 2007

I just read A Fire Story and it is not at all a warning about the use of denatured alcohol vs other cooking fuels

  "I’ve also considered the type of stove I was using and whether using my old MSR would
  have kept this from happening. I don’t believe it would have. What I know now is that I could
  not have been careful enough"

  I agree the story is a great heads up to be extra careful in this dry year but it does not
  mean go back to the white gas.  Have you ever seen a white gas stove burn out of control?
  It's pretty scary.  There's also a lot of burn marks in shelter floors on the AT and many of
  those burns happened long before the Pepsi can stove came along.

  Jack PCT 01