[pct-l] Golden Trout north to ??

Bruce Harvey bharve at dslextreme.com
Thu Mar 22 13:08:46 CDT 2007

Yeah, the description is a tad tortured.  From study of the Mt.
Whitney High Country topo map by Tom Harrison, I'll take a crack at
deciphering it.

An assumption could be made that everything everything in the
description following the words "Rock Creek drainage" is an attempt
to describe the parts of that drainage which the restriction applies
to.  A few reasons for making that assumption:
1. "north-northwest of the Sequoia National Park boundary and
Siberian Pass' is more limiting in longitude than "west of Cottonwood
Pass", but less than "west of...New Army Pass..."
2. In the wording "west of Cottonwood and New Army Passes", New Army
is superfluous, since Cottonwood is further east than New Army.
3. In "south of Crabtree Pass, south of Goyot [sp] Pass", Guyot is
more restrictive in latitude than Crabtree, I believe.  If so,
Crabtree is superfluous.  I haven't found Crabtree Pass on the map,
but given that name, I suspect it may be the minor pass roughly at
the junction where the JMT splits east toward Whitney from the PCT.
4. If Cottonwood and Crabtree are eliminated from the description,
the remainder is essentially a set of limits describing the Rock
Creek drainage.

If the stated assumption is adopted, the included portion of the PCT
is between the Sequoia Park boundary and Guyot pass.  That is because
on the PCT, the Rock Creek drainage is between the Sequoia Park
boundary on the south and Guyot Pass on the north.  That is about
eleven miles of the PCT.

If the stated assumption is wrong, the span of  PCT covered could be
a greater.  The outer limits that could be drawn from even an
illogical reading of the description would be Cottonwood Pass on the
south and Crabtree Pass on the north.  That is 15.9 miles on the
PCT.  [The reading would be illogical because "north-northwest of the
Sequoia National Park boundary and Siberian Pass" excludes Cottonwood
as a southern limit.]

BTW, I've not read whatever original post prompted your question,
what is the restriction?

Thanks,
geezer