[pct-l] A Serious Challenge

RJ Lewis karmagurl at rainierconnect.com
Fri Mar 23 03:05:46 CDT 2007

  My biggest challenge next year will not be whether or not I will
actually be able to complete my hike- barring major illness or injury, I
have every confidence I can complete it in the time I allotted myself,
or even sooner.
  My major concern will be trying to find suitable trail food to take
that doesn't contain MSG. This crap seems to permeate everything we
consume these days. If it is at all processed, it nearly always contains
MSG. I'm also allergic to Nutrasweet, so sugar free drinks are outta the
question. However, this MSG thing really has me a bit puzzled.
  I do fine at home, I can create everything from scratch here, and
spend the time and energy cooking all these raw ingredients into a mouth
watering, delectable meal for myself and my husband.  However, carrying
those types of ingredients out on the trail will be impractical. Maybe
with some of your creativity here on the list, I can get some really
good ideas to help me along here with my food ideas, cause that seems to
be where I'm really really stuck so far in my planning for my own trip.
  So yeah, top ramen is O-u -t out...its loaded with MSG. Alot of most
hiker's staples are absolutely forbidden to me.

What's a gal to do?

Ronnie Jo