[pct-l] Cooking on the dry trail - and the safest option is ... ?

Eric Lee (GAMES) elee at microsoft.com
Mon Mar 26 00:07:25 CDT 2007

Paul wrote:

There were lots of warnings about how dangerous it is, but I was kind of
hoping for some practical conclusions on how to improve safety.

I'm not sure anything on this list is ever really "concluded".  <grin>

If I were to summarize the lessons I took away from the thread, it would be:

1) Some types of stoves seem to be less risky than others in high fire danger conditions.  Alcohol stoves are probably relatively high risk for a number of reasons.  Canister stoves and solid fuel tablets are relatively less risky, though far from guaranteed safe.

2) When you use any kind of stove, be *hardcore* about picking a safe place to use it.  Find a clear area (sand, rock, bare dirt) area that's bigger than you think you need.  Existing areas only, please - don't go clearcutting the vegetation!  Don't set up on unstable areas or hillsides where stoves could keep traveling when they fall over.  Think about the wind conditions and how it could suddenly change.  Think about everything that could possibly go wrong even if it seems unlikely.

3) If you do find a safe place to cook, take advantage of it even if it's not the "proper" time of day for the meal you had in mind.

3) Be prepared to eat cold if you simply can't find the correct conditions to cook safely.  Pack foods that will allow you to do that multiple times if necessary.

That's how I interpreted it, anyway.

Eric