[pct-l] Rain Gear Question

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Mon Mar 26 03:21:05 CDT 2007

_gottawalk at pacbell.net_ (mailto:gottawalk at pacbell.net)   writes:

I was  just talking to a friend about the isotope. She said the jacket has a
reputation of abrading from pack straps on the shoulders and then leaking.
Too  bad because I liked the weight too.
I notice that is a not too uncommon  thing for rain jackets to wear from pack
straps and hip belts.  I usually  do not have any problems with the shoulder
straps because I use super light seat  belt pads from the Walmart auto section
on my shoulder  straps.

I have had some abrasion on the back  of my Micropore rain jacket where the
waist belt area is.  I just put some  Duct tape on it to patch any abrasion.

My rain jacket with hood weighs in at  8 ounces and the rain chaps at 2
ounces.  So, I am at about 10 ounces for  both.  Not bad.

Add my umbrella to the mix and I  have a nice rain set up.  Not perfect, but
okay for the trail.  If I  were in rain for days on end on the trail, I guess
it might be a bummer.   But I guess that would be true for any trail set up.
The umbrella is not  usable in gusty wind.  It will fold up.

The lightest trail umbrella I have  found is the MontBell Trekker.  See
_www2.montbell.com/america/asp/products/Spg_shosai.asp?cat=1605&hinban=2328311_
(https://www2.montbell.com/america/asp/products/Spg_shosai.asp?cat=1605&hinban=232
8311)    But I still use the heavier GoLite Chrome Dome.  I might change to
the  lighter MontBell.

Switchback the  Complainer