[pct-l] Backpacker's Insurance?

shane wohlken darkbodhi at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 26 09:10:59 CDT 2007

Question regarding backpacking insurance.  Since
I have not been working full time for the past
two years, I am no longer covered by any
insurance.  Since I am about to embark on a
thru-hike, I thought I should look into some
travelers insurance for some basic medical and
equipment coverage, but am getting quite
discouraged.  The restrictions from company to
company seem to always exclude my type of
traveling.  Some of the restrictions include
(note, they are different from company to
company): will not cover a trip longer than 30
days (I'll be on the trail for 5-6 months), won't
cover medical if trip in taken within country of
residency (I live in the U.S. and my thru-hike is
in the U.S.), won't cover loss of equipment over
$500 (I'm carrying over $1000 on my back).  I
can't see to find that magical Goldilocks company
that will cover medical and equipment loss (up to
at least $1000) for a 6 month backpacking trip in
the same country as my residency (in the case,
the good old U.S.).  If anyone out there has some
information about such a company I would be very,
very grateful.

Thanks in advance,

Shane