[pct-l] Water Caches

Bill Batchelor billbatch at cox.net
Mon Mar 26 21:39:17 CDT 2007

Of this thread, I think Tom's posting reflects the closest thing to what I
understand as reality.  Let me tell you my take as a soon to be thruhiker.
I have talked to many people and read much about this journey and I think I
represent some sort of an average Joe hiker.

I plan to get good intel on the caches ahead of time and updated intel
before departing any town stops or other locations where information might
be available.  If I feel the intel is solid, recent, reliable and that the
quantity of water reported is flush...  I am going to assume it will likely
be there and I will use the cache as an expected subsidy.  I will not push
the envelop and expect to get all of my water for the next leg there.  Just
like I would not push it to any other water source that is not a sure thing
(e.g. a stream known to be fairly low).  I will carry enough of a reserve to
get me out of trouble, though not as much as I may want or need for the next
entire leg.  Enough "To get me out of trouble" may mean enough to go on but
not with great comfort, it may mean enough in reserve to go back to a
previous water supply, or enough to get down a long side trail.

I do not consider the existence of water caches in the So Cal desserts
cheating in any way.  I am using all kinds of support for my trip.   For
example, I am depending on people at home to mail me food to locations where
buying food is not a convenient option.  This is in essence a "food cache"
put right in a place where it is most convenient for both the cache stocker
as well as the hiker.  I suppose I could just carry enough food from the
last grocery store to get all the way to the next one without using the
convenience of the kind person shipping me my "food cache", but I'd rather
not.

Now, if this is not how most people today use these caches PLEASE let me
know.  If the cache is really only used as an emergency back-up 99% of the
time based on malfunctions or complete miscalculation, please inform me.  If
using the caches in the respect I have outlined above is out of line with
the current hiker culture and I would be abusing the privilege, please
educate me.  Honestly though, from everything I have read (and I have read a
shit-load) I thought this was the general function.

BillB