[pct-l] Olancha Peak Section F

Shutterbug steiner shutterbugg313 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 4 16:53:56 CST 2007

Instead of moaning about the closures of all the forests in SoCal because of the wildfires I headed North and about 7 miles of my trek was on the PCT.  Started at Sage Brush South of the town of Olancha and then junctioned with  the PCT just after the pass.   Here we found some VERY confusing PCT signs.  Ends up being that we were at a junction of two spur trails about a mile from the real PCT but both of the signs pointed in opposite direction with the PCT emblem.  Had hiked this section in 06 and enjoyed remembering some of the nice vistas and intereting rock formations.:

  The tread of the PCT was well designed with good water bars  BUT one can tell that the trail crews have not been here in a while.  On the PCT there was only two large downed trees that were easily navigated around.   The encroaching sage brush was terrible and if something is not done the trail will be tough to follow in the next years.  You can tell that the SoCal trail gorrilas traditionally stop at KM.   This area is little used by non PCT hikers and not very accessable via road thus the lack of good brush cutting.

  Great day in the wilds and a good to get back on familiar ground.

  SB

http://mail.yahoo.com