[pct-l] gossamer gear: ultralight?

Shutterbug steiner shutterbugg313 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 7 17:00:05 CST 2007

Shutterbug steiner <shutterbugg313 at yahoo.com> wrote:    Nothing but good things to say about GG, their gear, organization, vision, customer service and people.  But I'd caution going with any UL gear without trying it out - especially the three essentials - packs, bags, and shelters.  It is not for everybody and does take some skill and practice in order to go UL safely.

  Personally I have used GG for most of my long section hikes for packs but chose to go with an Osprey for the weight needed to be carried through the Sierra's in 06.  That year I saw more ULA gear than GG.  But when my GG poles broke in the Sierra's Grant replaced them and had them overnighted to TM from RM.  Very cool, grassroots company that has my loyalty.

  SB

David Stewart <davidalexanderstewart at gmail.com> wrote:
    Hello all,

  what is the general consensus on gossamer gear? specifically the backpacks. is it quality? will it come apart on me?

  i will not have  a real chance to test much stuff before i get out there, and with the ultralight backpacks, i wonder: what are they saving on to make it so light? i guess if i keep the base weight of my gear ultra-light, the pack will hold up, but i just wanted to get some kind of "community vote" on this (for example, no one talks poorly about marmot precip jacket, or vasque sundowner boots, or MSR stoves, etc...)

  is gossamer risky?

  thanks again,
  dave

http://mail.yahoo.com