[pct-l] USMC Birthday & Veterans Day

Jim and/or Ginny Owen spiriteagle99 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 12 21:06:13 CST 2007

Tom Bache wrote:

>Jim and Ginny Owen,

>annoy me.
>But this is so much on the topic we should all think about on Veteran¹s Day
>that I must thank you for posting it.

Tom -
I was one of the original members of this list - long before most of those
who live here now ever heard of it.  For the first 6 or 8 years, it was
customary on the appropriate days to thank and honor those who are now and
have in the past put their lives on the line to keep this country free.  If
that practice has fallen out of repute, then the following quote is
appropriate:

>"There's sore decline in Adam's line if this be the spawn of Earth"
>        ----- Rudyard Kipling

Telling me the subject is off-topic or inappropriate in any forum or any
conversation is not something I'm likely to accept.

The real problem here is that there was so little appreciation from those on
pct-l for those who have in the past - and are still - paying the price for
their freedom.  Instead, there was apparently the fear that expressing their
appreciation would be "inappropriate" or "off-topic".  And I'm giving the
benefit of the doubt with respect to motive.  Whatever - this quote was
posted here today - it was appropriate -

>   "I insist on my right to say what I please, no matter whom it may
>offend.  To say what I please even when I may myself be doubtful of its
>truth.  And to say what I please even when I am certain of its truth, as
>for instance crying "Fire" in a crowded theater when the theater is in fact
>on fire.  I resent the current effort to place certain subjects, e.g.
>racial differences, beyond the pale of permissible discourse, and the
>constant attempt to intimidate the outspoken and to suppress free speech by
>hysterical screams of "racism! sexism! fascism! communism! homophobia!
>anti-Semitism! terrorism! anarchism!
>    In our taboo-ridden, cult-obsessed, hypersensitive, creed-crazed
>culture, anyone who attempts to examine tough social questions in a
>logical, analytic, empiric manner must learn to expect a blizzard of
>rhetorical abuse from all sides.
>    Anyone with any experience of the other animals takes for granted the
>hereditary nature of basic attributes.  Only we humans like to pretend that
>we are superior to the laws of biology and evolution.  Vanity, vanity, thy
>name is humanism - whether Christian, Marxist or "secular".

                                                       ------------- Edward
Abbey

I think Ed Abbey would have had a few unkind things to say about those who
are so closely related to the Grinch that they believe the subject is
"off-topic."  And he didn't write those lines only about da gubmint - but
I'll let that one lie there and fester for a while.

OTOH - the subject became "off-topic" and inappropriate in later posts.
Those of us who have lost friends and family don't think remembering them is
humorous.  Which may be why Brick commented on it.

In any case, you're welcome - and the bottom line is - I'll do it again when
it's appropriate.

Semper Fi -
Jim

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/