[pct-l] Dog Help

Donna Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Fri Nov 16 21:10:45 CST 2007

I’m in an awkward position when it comes to making “recommendations,”
especially when it comes to something as precious as the life and well being
of your best canine friend, and the dream that you have been dreaming to
bring him along.  I try instead to present the realities of what I’ve seen,
having the unique opportunity over the past 11 years to meet the majority of
hikers on the trail and their furry friends.

Like Andrea Dinsmore (aka PCT Mom), I’ve seen dogs who do extremely well and
seem to be having the time of their lives, and dogs that are doing so poorly
I wanted to kill their owners or at least report them for animal cruelty.
How will you and your dog do?  Geez, that is impossible to call.  With the
dogs at least, breed purpose does seem to play a strong factor.  I would not
venture that a Maltese is exactly a coursing breed, but the fact that you
plan to carry the dog compensates somewhat for that.  Can you carry a dog
(and its food and water) through all of the sections where they’re allowed
is a question only you will be able to answer.

With the following I’m not trying to be negative, but I sense that you are
well versed in the positives of bringing your dog along with you.  I’m
trying only to give some balance to your decision process with the things
that I know about:

-          I think you’re right to be concerned about fords in those places
that are blessed with creeks and rivers (not down here!!).  Many adults have
difficulties just getting themselves over some of them, and they require
both your hands to get you across safely.  Are the life vest and safety line
you plan to use going to be effective in raging torrents?

-          We have a lot of predatory animals out here.  With such a tiny
dog, I’d also be concerned about the coyotes, mountain lions, and even birds
of prey.  The extreme drought conditions we’re in down here has driven wild
animals to turn increasingly upon domestic animals in brazen attacks.  We do
not bring our only trail capable dog (a smooth coat fox terrier) out on the
trail for this reason alone.

-          Others have rightly mentioned rattlesnakes, which are a real
concern for human and dog alike.

-          Where will you be and how will you get out if you need help for
your dog?  The PCT does not have the frequent road crossings the AT does
with relative close proximity to towns.

-          As many have mentioned, the water situation out here has been
outright dire, and the forecast for rain this coming winter is not good,
though we pray the forecasters are wrong this time.  Can you carry gallons
and your gear and your dog?  And still enjoy your experience?

If things go wrong, you will have to live with that outcome and I suspect
would not forgive yourself. The bottom line is if you are willing to take
the chance and the challenges, it might be a wonderful experience for you
and your beloved friend, and we’ll welcome you both here at Hiker Heaven.  I
wish you wisdom in making such a difficult choice.

L-Rod

   _____