[pct-l] Illegal food storage fines

montypct montypct at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 14:15:33 CST 2007

Hi Eric

Staying within the law?  It's not as simple as cannister vs no cannister.
I've done the Sierras with and without an approved cannister.  There are ways to legally hike the PCT through the Sierras without, but I really don't recommend it.  It is a pain in the A** and way, way too hard to stay legal.

The laws vary over and over every few miles as you progress along the PCT.  In one place a cannister is the only legal method on one side of the trail where hanging food is also one of the acceptable required methods on the other side of the trail.  On O C Peter's "On the Trail site you can find a mile by mile, per data book, write up I did last March.  http://dascalos.net/Outdoors/PCT/bearbox.html
This write up was confirmed as accurate by the ranger/Wilderness Manager heading the project that produced a map with the collective of laws.

Their map is posted at:
http://www.sierrawildbear.gov
and they will send out large hard copies to those who wish to post it.

When you are NOT camped (hiking) or saying that you did camp without a cannister, no violation is taking place.

Although you might be informed of the laws, all the rangers are not.  AND all the rangers are not nice................. to put it nicely.
Another story.

Monty