[pct-l] Containers and Taters and Bears. Oh My!

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Fri Oct 19 11:17:10 CDT 2007

>Do bears like tobacco?

Don't know about bears (never had a problem in years past), but deer and marmots definitely did if they had the opportunity!

>Secondly; What do you do on a 10 day stretch when the container only holds 6 days worth of food?
>Carrying 2 containers seems awfully heavy, but if a bear gets my food I'll be screwed.

First, check out the map <http://tinyurl.com/3cncn8> to see where bear-proof food storage is required...
The map shows areas where proper food storage is required while 'camping' and the bear box locations...

You CAN get more than 6 days food into a canister with proper food selection and planning...
See <http://tinyurl.com/26t98r> and <http://tinyurl.com/yvcez5>...  So you don't need two canisters!
You may have a 'calorie deficit' after a few days, but you get to 'pig out' at VVR or Mammoth to help make it up...

Regarding smoking: Not trying to preach (too much, anyway), but be VERY careful smoking while on the PCT...
SoCal can be very dry early in the thru season and NorCal/OR, also, when you get there on your thru...
Some National Forests ban smoking (other than inside a structure or closed vehicle) during dry periods...
Do NOT smoke while hiking; stop, sit low and out of the wind, drop the ashes on bare mineral soil...
And pack out those butts!  Leave no trace...

>Beyond this point
>There be dragons...

and bears, and marmots, and (sometimes) fires, too...

Happy trails!!!
Jim