[pct-l] FW: Nikon D40X

OMullis omullis at aircanopy.net
Wed Oct 24 22:15:29 CDT 2007

Hi Bob,

I, too, am an avid amateur photographer, planning to section-hike PCT-Oregon
September 2008. I intend to take my Nikon D70 and 2 lenses (Tokina 10-17mm,
Nikon 18-70mm)
along.

I have purchased for this trip a Kata T-214
(http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/426301-REG/Kata_KTT214_T_214_Torso_Pack.html)
and plan to carry it forward, on my chest. It's the right size to hold the
D70 with either lens attached,
the other lens, batteries, CF cards, & filters.  Also bought an UltraPod II
(http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/239963-REG/Ultrapod_PD02010_Ultrapod_2_Black.html)
for the trip. I figure the Kata on my chest will help counterbalance my
backpack, and it keeps everything
up-front & handy so I can get to it without having to shed my pack unless I
want to do so.

Kata also makes a slightly smaller pack, the T-212
(http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/316849-REG/Kata_KTT212_T_212_Torso_Pack.html)
which may suffice for you, since you'll have only the 18-200mm.

Kata makes body armor for the Israel military in addition to their line of
photo gear.  My T-214 is very
well-made, well-padded and I expect it will meet my PCT needs quite well.
Check them out... theirs was
the best solution to my needs, specifically for taking my gear on the PCT.

Hope that helps.  Best wishes on your hike!

Ollen Mullis
Venus, TX