[pct-l] Start off in April, first time

Craig Stanton craigstanton at mac.com
Tue Oct 30 03:03:05 CDT 2007

Hi Treovr,

	It is totally normal for people to do the PCT as a solo trek. I
started out along on April 19th this year and though I made many
friends along the way, and hiked the cast majority of Oregon and
Washington within an hour or so of the same three people I consider
my hike to be a solo one. Some people will walk in pairs, within
talking distance the whole time. Others will stay totally alone.
Everything is normal out there it just depends on your style.
	It's too early to really tell if April is a good time to be
starting, it depends on the snow-pack and that'll be a while before
it can be judged. If you can find a way to be flexible and allow for
starting anywhere from early April to mid May then you should be in
the usual good weather window. But things change every year. So keep
a watch on the snow levels (I think Postholer.com tracks the data
quite well) and don't expect any decision you make now to last you
through winter.

~Craig