[pct-l] Shelters

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Fri Sep 7 09:28:56 CDT 2007

As you know 95% of hiking shelters do not meet with my approval.  I  use a
simple MSR Hubba netting tent with super light carbon fiber  poles.  Very nice.
Of course, you can have a 5 ounce tarp set up  instead of my under 3 pounds
shelter set up.  I much prefer my set up with  a backpack weight still under 20
pounds.

Most tents and tarps block you off from what you came out to enjoy and be
with.  Laying in a netting tent at night looking at the stars is a great
experience.  You are in your shelter on a hike may be 25-50% of the  time.  That is
A LOT.  It depends on your camping style, weather,  bugs, etc.

Cowboy camping, bivys, and netting tents are good for integrating with
nature in camp.  Being in or under a nylon prison is not.

I always look forward to the April Kickoff and the September Gathering to
see if there are any new shelter designs that meet my criteria.  I am  always
disappointed.

Well, I guess I will be optimistic for the upcoming Gathering and hope  there
are some new products that allow you to see all around and not just out  one
side.  Those types of shelters just tease you to what you should really  be
experiencing.

May the Forest be with You.  Switchback the Optimistic  Net