[pct-l] Dangerous ford near Lava Spring (40 miles south of White Pass) puts at least 2 thru hikers off the trail

Piroska Balogh piros4 at comcast.net
Sat Sep 15 23:40:01 CDT 2007

Hi all,

I'm really sorry to hear about Ladybug getting hurt at the Lava
Spring ford. I can only imagine how frustrated she must be. Like
other athletes, we long distance hikers face debilitating injuries
that cut short our dreams. I'm grateful to the PCT-L because it gives
all of us to learn from other hikers experiences both good and bad.

I'm only an Oregon and Washington section hiker but have found that
both on the PCT and elsewhere, fording a steam (I use hiking poles)
and getting wet feet is generally safer than crossing on logs. Of
course, there are exceptions like the Suiattle that is too deep to
ford but if a stream is under butt deep, I'll ford it instead of
risking a log crossing. Logs are always tempting because staying dry
is more comfortable especially when its cold but I've found that wet
feet are not so bad and can even feel refreshing after a long day of
hiking. I forded everything except the Suiattle and another stream
that I can't remember the name of in the Glacier Peak unmaintained
section this last August. Yeah, I had wet feet for 3 days but they
would have been wet anyway from the wet brush and overall, I think I
stayed safer because I didn't risk walking across logs, except for
the one stream (I butt slid the Suiattle log). This isn't a criticism
of Ladybug's decisions (or anyone else) who has hiked farther than I
have on the PCT, just my 2 cents on my own trail experience.

Last Cookie