[pct-l] Leaving the trail for weddings?

Rick Ostheimer rick.ostheimer at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 30 13:51:13 CDT 2007

I need help planning a way to fly back east for my nephews' weddings:
Memorial Day and July 4th weekend (May 24 and Jul 5).  I figure to be
"off trail" for about 7 days for each wedding with getting to an
airport, flying home, going to the weddings, flying back and getting
back to the points I exit the trail.  Based on my AT experience, I'll
probably be averaging about 20 miles/hiking day and am planning one day
off in 7.

Depending snow conditions, I'm hoping to start around March 29, hike as
far as I can and hitch back to the Kickoff, then make it to Kennedy
Meadows (about 37 hiking days total)  in time to fly back for the first
wedding leaving the trail around May 20.   I should be back on the trail
around May 28 and ready to enter the Sierras if conditions are as
favorable as '07.  I'll have 28 hiking days to make South Lake Tahoe by
June 29 where I'll leave for the second wedding.

I know the best I can do is have a general schedule and need to be
flexible.  Don't want to drive too hard and risk an injury.  In the
first segment, I can skip the kickoff (don't want to) if I need more
time or get off earlier if it's better for reaching an airport.

Is this doable?  Are there places to exit the trail between K.M. and
South Lake Tahoe from which I could reach an airport and fly back?  ---
especially if the date to enter High Sierra turns out to be more like
June 15.  Where could I get in just 14 hiking days from K.M. that I
could access air transportation?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Handlebar,
GA-ME 06