[pct-l] April 14th from campo

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Sat Apr 5 14:36:54 CDT 2008

On Apr 5, 2008, at 3:13 PM, Donna Saufley wrote:
> Getting your bear canister at Kennedy Meadows is a good plan.
> There are
> people who swear you can get 12+ days of food in the canisters, but
> for the
> life of me I cannot do it with the food I was carrying.

I managed to put 18lbs of food into my BearVault at KM
last summer.  That is about 8-9 days of food for me.
The food that didn't fit I ate on the first few days
out of KM so that by Crabtree Meadows all my food fit
in the canister.

Getting 18lbs of food into the BearVault took a little
creativity.  You basically need to play tetris with
your food and fill *all* the gaps and spaces in the
canister.  You have to be willing to mangle/smash
some of your food to make it fit in the available space.

One trick I came up with was to divide the food into
two 4-day groups and fill the bottom half of the canister
with one group and the top with the other.  That way
I didn't need to access the bottom of the canister until
the end of the section.

Radar