[pct-l] altitude

Tortoise Tortoise73 at charter.net
Fri Apr 11 14:25:38 CDT 2008

Years ago when I took my "Mountain Medicine" first-aid etc. course we
covered high altitude problems.  information then was that people start
having problems above 7000 feet.

People's response to altitude vary a lot from person to person; and
somewhat from time to time for one person.
Only time I had a problem was when we camped at South Lake (elev 9774' per
Google Earth) before heading over Bishop Pass to Dusy Basin.
I had a stove problem so in the morning we went back down to Bishop to get
a replacement cap for my Svea stove; then back to South Lake and started
our trip. Result I got acute mountain sickness (severe headache, nausea).

I suspect the drop back down to Bishop was enough additional to cause my AMS.

Tortoise

<> He who finishes last, wins! <>