[pct-l] miles per day

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Apr 15 18:56:24 CDT 2008

About how many miles per day do you do? I'm planning out my schedule
at 15 miles per day. I hear most people do about 20 but in all my
life even at my fittest, my feet seem to give out at about mile 16,
and that's without a big backpack on my back. I'm not sure I can hike
20 miles every day.

But I also worry that 15 miles will be too few, I'll get bored, I'll
get fit and then start pushing myself to 20 miles a day and my
schedule will contract too much. Then my hike will be over too soon.
(I'm only going to Oregon, either to Ashland or to Crater Lake.)

Has anybody ever hiked the PCT at 15 miles a day? Did it work out? I
realize maybe you can't get to Canada at that pace, but does that
seem like too few miles per day to be an enjoyable experience,
especially if you're probably going to be alone most of the time?

Thanks,
Diane