[pct-l] thrus behaving badly

Travis Beals trbeals at berkeley.edu
Thu Apr 17 19:26:11 CDT 2008

First of all, I'd like to say I  think it was entirely appropriate for
Bob to post on his blog a description of what happened with Wheeew at
Hikertown and mention it on the PCT list. Wheeew made her own decision
to post her own trail journal, and everyone should know that there's
no anonymity on the internet (unless you go to great pains). As for
the decision to name her (using her trail name), Wheeew's "hiker
identity" was already "blown" from the point trail-name-here quoted
(without naming her) a piece of her trail journal about the "muffin
frisbee" incident; I found her trail journal with my first Google
search, using part of the quote. (I'm not trying to blame trail-name-
here---just pointing out the lack of anonymity on the internet).

What would be inappropriate is to post her real name on the list. I
think the boundary between trail life and "everything else" should be
preserved except in extreme cases.

It worries me how much damage one bad apple can do, both to the
ecosystem (e.g., feeding bears) and to the trail angel support
network. On the other hand, I'm aware that a lot of what appears like
self-centered and reckless behavior is actually just the result of
ignorance. I'm sure I did stupid things as I was learning about
hiking, and others were patient with me while pointing me in the right
direction. That said, there has to be a limit to patience.

Hopefully, some tactful souls will take Wheeew aside at the kick-off
and gently reminder her about LNT practices and how to be a good
guest. With luck, it will stick, and we'll all be better off for it.
If she's still being a bad guest at other trail angels' places, they
would be fully justified in telling her she's not welcome, and I hope
other hikers would support that. Also, if she's still blogging about
chucking food around by the time she hits the Sierras, somebody should
alert the rangers, as her behavior would then pose a serious risk to
bears and other hikers. Unlike trail angels and hikers, rangers are at
least paid to deal with that kind of unpleasant behavior, and have the
authority to do something about it.