[pct-l] DEAD HORSES

Will Hiltz will.hiltz at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 20:50:23 CDT 2008

Hi Reinhold-

If you'll go back and read my previous emails I think you'll find that I've
made no mention of the speed at which Scott & Joe were hiking.  Further,
I've conceded what you postulate below... that S & J were singled out for
criticism.  I would say this was for a number of reasons, but most
particularly because of their high visibility and notoriety on the trail.
They are role models, famous hikers, whatever you want to call it.  As such
I thought they might consider holding themselves to a higher standard while
hiking.  The ex post facto "but they didn't get in trouble so it must be no
big deal" doesn't abrogate their responsibility for a poor decision.  Not
necessarily a bad decision for them personally, but a bad decision for the
LDH community.  You and Joe continue to be unwilling to engage on this
particular point and fall back on accusing me of being bitter and jealous
without any real justification.  I think its wonderful that Scott & Joe
hiked in 71 days, much as I would think it would be wonderful if that guy on
stilts made it all the way to Canada.  My beef comes in when they start
disobeying regulations in a way that reflects poorly on our community as a
whole.  THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ULTRALIGHT OR SPEED HIKING.  You feel
like engaging on this point or am I just beating a dead horse?

YITOOD,

Easy