[pct-l] PCT Thru-Hiker Missing in Glacier Peak Wilderness

Andrea Dinsmore zaqueltooocool at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 10:52:17 CDT 2008

If it had not been for Disco figuring out that there was a major problem
with where Lucky was......this rescue would not have been started. Unless
you have worked in the past with trying to coordinate a missing hiker report
to 3 different Counties up here you don't just call one time. Especially
when your only outside communication is a poor reception satellite phone. We
got the reply from one of the County SARs that there were many other options
that "maybe" the hiker could have taken. Lucky had already been missing 4
days when the first report went in. Darrington jumped on it immediately.
Chelan did not. Chelan had excuses why they didn't need to start a search at
that time. Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets attention. We did our own map
search and recalled SAR to pin point where they needed to look and where the
most likely he got off route.

Many thanks to Disco and the rest of the PCT crew for caring enough and
realizing that their fellow hiker was in trouble.

PCT MOM