[pct-l] more on a FAQ

David Plotnikoff david at emeraldlake.com
Fri Dec 5 23:05:24 CST 2008

Folks, fyi: This is an extension of an e-mail exchange tonight
between Scott and I ....

Scott,

Agreed. I really wanted to hammer home that it is NOT the job of the
editorial team to adjudicate and decide any of the hot button issues
--- or any issues at all, for that matter. All they have to do is lay
things out clearly: "This is fact (ie: legal consequences for not
carrying a can in NPS territory). This is opinion (ie: "You're
commiting a moral crime and sentencing a bear to death if your
un-canned food gets taken")." The furthest they might venture in
guiding a newbie: "X1 is a largely settled consensus opinion. While
X2 is a minority opinion."

So here's the sticky wicket where you and I are going to disagree: I
am a professional editor and author, with 30 years experience. And I
have *never* seen a group editing process that worked well without a
"last word" -- ie: a top editor. You need a master editor to shape
the consensus document into something that's cohesive and reads like
more than cobbled together posts. You need ONE editor reviewing and
redacting the work of six to 12 really engaged contributors, who are
going to hash a lot out amongst themselves. Trust me on this: You
really DO want to have one person to herd everything together,
eliminate redundancy, confusion, rewrite for consistent style,
grammar, etc. Without that final pass-through -- and push back (ie:
"You really need to add more on subject X and maybe reconsider your
needlessly provocative phrasing on issue Y") what you have is a
collection of individual posts.

Consider this example: If a top-level point on the outline is "when
to start" and entry 1A is "The Kickoff" and 1A-1 is "The Herd" you at
the end of the process are going to want to have one person who can
place Strider, WS Monte, L-Rod, that whackjob Postholer
Boycott-the-Kickoff guy, et al, in some sort of balance and context.
These kinds of polemic positions don't naturally balance themselves
out. (If they did, flame wars on Usenet would not be burning for
decades at a stretch...) It takes one rational and dedicated human to
set them in balance.

Good luck.

Nominations anyone? Don't all raise your hands at once.

DP

... who has been on this Listserv for nine years and knows he still
has a lot to learn from the perspectives of his fellow community
members.